Sunday, June 21, 2009

I found the author's life interesting initially, but soon tired of it. The analogy of the toolbox was helpful to me. Another helpful set of advice was his use of contradictions: write what you know, or don't; use good grammar, or not; use good vocabulary, or not. He argued both sides of each piece of advice successfully. To me, a true artist is the person who breaks "the rules" successfully.

His advice of leaving out adverbs and adjectives, using strong nouns and verbs, limiting word use, and using active vs. passive voice have strengthened my writing.

I hope to improve my habits to become a better writer as he suggests - read more, set up a schedule, write daily, have high expectations of self, create a good place to write, lead and healthy and balanced life.

I want to read more of the books from his list at the end of the book. Also, more of the authors he mentions throughout the book.

1 comment: