Thursday, June 25, 2009

Meta-Text

Dear Amy,

I have changed the way I write. I know I have. Before, I was shallow and wide in my writing. I hopped from one vignette to another. Of course, I have always seen myself as something of an O. Henry. That was before this class. For several days, I did not like the idea of narrow and deep.

Reading the mini-memoirs of In Brief helped me see the importance of this concept. The examples Bret Lott included from the writings of other authors was also particularly helpful to me in this journey. I never imagined that I had so much improvement to make. This is one more style of writing to add to my toolbox to borrow a term from Steven King.

This course represents a first for me. I have never read 4 books in 2 weeks. Hip, hip, hooray for me!

It was helpful to me to have you say that I needed to break down the wall and find my own voice. You were right. I am on the way to doing that. I also may very well finish this class before the last minute of the last day. So many changes in so little time: Isn't change what this program is all about?

Thank you for offering to always be there for us in our writing journey. I will surely need that. Next month I will move to a mountain house with a special nook. There I believe that I will be successful at writing, painting, and potting, three of my favorite things in the world. The best to you.

Sincerely,
Teri Gainey Bastian

No comments:

Post a Comment